Interested in becoming a NO Days Featured Artist?

Interested in becoming a NO Days Featured Artist?



Want to share your artwork made using NO Days products with the world? We want to help you promote your work! We love seeing the various ways artists are using NO Days products! We share our Featured Artist spotlight with our newsletter subscribers, our Facebook friends and fans, on our Featured Artist Page and right here on our blog, linking back to your website.

Simply send an email to info@nodaysadhesives.com with the subject: Featured Artist. Be sure to include your name, email address, and website (if you have one) along with a brief bio and pictures of yourself and your artwork made with NO Days Products. Not sure what to include in a bio? Tell us how you became interested in playing with glass or crafts. How about where you get your inspiration? Oh! And don't forget to tell us why you love using NO Days!

Monday, April 29, 2013

Q&A Monday ~ Prepping Substrate with Film Adhesive

No Days Instructor and Support
Carrie Strope Sohayda

Hi, there! Carrie, here...
Not only do I travel the country teaching folks how to use No Days adhesives (and other techniques), but I also answer customer support emails about using No Days. So, if you're having an issue with the adhesives, chances are good that I'll be answering your questions!
Since I get so many good questions, I thought it might be a great learning opportunity for people that may be having some of the same issues but haven't thought to email us. Don't worry, I'll keep the emails anonymous!
Also, don't forget that we've got a lot of really fabulous videos (I put those together, too...) on our YouTube channel. So for those of you who are visual learners (umm...we're visual artists, right?), you may want to check them out!
If you've got questions, feel free to contact us at info@streuter.com.


 Subject: Streuter Technologies: No Days Mosaic Adhesive film use
No Days Mosaic Adhesive is available in bulk rolls,
which are a great solution for studio classes
Hi, Carrie ~

I teach a little easy mosaics class and am trying to come up with a no fuss way to use your adhesive film for class. I find that when I use it in my studio... the film sheets can slide around and affect the alignment and spacing of my tesserae. Is there any way to make it easier on my students and prep the film on the substrate first. Like maybe tacking it down or just melting it slightly?

I have tried this and the film just disintegrates. I tried using the pink sheets of paper over it also...no luck.
N.
Prepping paver stones with No Days Mosaic Adhesive
Hi, N~
The film can definitely be frustrating to use if it's not set in place! I can totally relate. I've been teaching with it for a few years and have found that if you prep the substrate in advance that it makes the process so much easier. In fact, I've been doing this on every piece that I work on now. Here is a large scale project I completed with a group of k-12 students:
http://nodaysadhesives.blogspot.com/2013/01/no-days-artist-residency-in-rural.html#more

Finished mosaic panels : 9th-12th graders
102" x 36", glass & mirror mosaic

The pink paper is not release paper. Our new packaging now comes with the release paper in rolls of adhesive. The white paper (shiny side) is the release surface. It has always come with the No Days Mosaic Mesh (if you have any of that around), but we have recently started including it in the No Days Mosaic Adhesive film packages (and No Days Groutless Mosaic Adhesive), as well.
The pink paper that came in the old packages of No Days Mosaic Adhesive
is NOT release paper. It will stick to the adhesive sheets.

 To prep my substrates, I will lay down the adhesive film, then put the release paper shiny side down. I use an iron on top (the release paper prevents the adhesive from getting on the iron). It's best to cut your release paper larger than the adhesive underneath so you don't accidentally get any on your iron. (It can be cleaned off the iron by wiping it down while it's hot and then when it cools using acetone to remove any residue.) If you're working glass on glass, you can use the same technique to prep the pieces of glass, or if you've got an electric skillet (or you can use the oven ~200ºF), you can use that: http://nodaysadhesives.blogspot.com/2013/03/artist-residency-with-mosaic-glass.html

"It's hard to see in the photo, but I prepped the clear glass squares by
laying a square of No Days Mosaic Adhesive on it, and then placing
the squares on an electric skillet that I use for crafts."
If you have a bunch of the old packages of No Days Mosaic Adhesive, but need some release paper, you can contact customer service to order the silicon release paper separately.
Good luck!
Carrie
 
Hi Carrie....that is hugely helpful. Thank you for responding.
This may be my answer to offering a one day class....grouting same day!

Thanks.....fyi...love your work. Lucky for Strueter to have you.
~N.

No comments:

Post a Comment